What the Tata Nano is like: Owners speak!


It's now two months since the world's cheapest car, Tata Nano, was handed over to its first owner.

Since then, the Nano -- which caught the entire world's attention and has the potential to rewrite the automobile industry's future -- has found home across the length and breadth of India.

But has the car lived up to the hype? Are the first buyers of Nano happy? Does the car offer what Tata Motors promised it would? Is it worth the Rs 1 lakh tag that it carries?

It is time for a reality check.

The lucky, and enthusiastic, owners of the first lot of Nanos drove their pride of possession on city roads, highways, dusty roads and steep terrains -- for hundreds of kilometres at a stretch, in some cases -- share their experience about what it has meant to own a Nano. And how it has changed their lives.

We spoke to a proud cross section of Nano owners from across the country on what they like, and dislike, about the Tata Nano. Check it out...

Ashok Vichare, Mumbai 

Ashok Vichare is enjoying his 'celebrity' status, thanks to a little wonder called the Tata Nano. Vichare is the first owner of the Tata Nano in India and he has travelled 1,000 km already in it. Wherever he goes, people rush to see the car. "College and school students go crazy seeing the car," he says. 

He is very possessive about the car and does not even like his daughter driving it. Although he once had to let her drive it, he concedes. And he does not even let anyone else wash the car: he does it himself! 

"It is a fantastic car, very comfortable and gives a good mileage," says an excited Vichare, who works with the Customs. 

Best thing about the Nano?

Its affordability, good pick up, mileage, good air-conditioning system. It also requires lesser parking space and the service it gives is worth the price. It can go up to a speed of 100 km. It's a beautiful, light vehicle good for a family. 

What don't you like about the Nano or would liked for it to have?

I would have liked to have a side-view mirror on the left side and a drawer (glove compartment) to keep papers, etc.


How many kilometres has it run?

I completed 1,000 kilometres. I was sceptical about driving the Nano in the steep ghats when I went for a drive from Khopoli to Pune (near Mumbai). But it was a great experience. I faced no problem and I enjoyed a smooth ride. 


Is this your first car? 

This is my first car. I am enjoying every single ride in it. Many foreigners -- from the United States, France, Germany, et cetera -- have visited my place. It is great to see so much interest in the car. At traffic signals, I am the centre of attraction.

What has been your family's reaction to it? What about neighbours? 

Family is very excited, so are the neighbours. Many of them asked me to let them drive the car, but I haven't allowed yet. People have different driving styles and ultimately that affects a car. So it's best I keep it for myself.

Any fears about the car?

We bought the car without any test drive. I have complete faith in (Tata Group chairman) Ratan Tata's car.

Mileage?

22-23 kmpl



How comfortable? How many can sit?

It can seat 5 people. It is spacious. 


City or long drive?

I used it for, both, city and long drives. 


Model, price:

LX Lunar silver colour, Rs 1.85 lakh. I took a loan from the State Bank of India.

No comments:

Post a Comment